Dr Buckley is one only a few podiatric surgeons in Australia to offer minimally invasive bunion surgery. This technique allows the bunion to be corrected via several very small (3mm) incisions, as opposed to the traditional procedure, which requires a longer incision along the big toe joint.
Guided by fluoroscope (live xrays), Dr Buckley uses very fine burrs that oscillate at high speed to precisely cut the bone to correct the bunion deformity with minimal disruption to the surrounding tissue. Permanent screws are then inserted to hold the toe into the correct position.
Advantages of MIS surgery over traditional procedures
- Less potential for painful scarring
- Reduced swelling and faster recovery
- Shorter downtime after surgery
Indications for bunion surgery
- Pain and dysfunction in the big toe joint and the bunion
- Problems fitting into shoes
- Pain when performing normal activities
- Crowding of the small toes leading to deformities and painful corns and calluses
- Failure of conservative treatments such as orthotics, different shoes, padding or splints
How bunion surgery may help
- Alleviate pain
- Correct the misalignment of the joint
- Prevent further misalignment of the foot
- Enable return to normal shoes and participation in regular activities
Please note this MIS technique may not be suitable for all cases and Dr Buckley may recommend a more traditional approach to correct your bunion.
To book a consultation with Dr Ned Buckley regarding Bunion Surgery, please contact our clinic on 9481 8194 or use our online booking system for an instant appointment.
Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.